Do you want to join a highly-experienced team committed to providing unrivalled scientific analytical services for a diverse portfolio of clients?
Our Analytical Services division is focused on delivering technical excellence across a range of areas including life sciences, food & consumer services, industrial and environmental services.
With 700 members of staff, Concept Life Science’s employees are the foundation to our success. We have over 450 of our people engaged in delivering analytical services in laboratories throughout the UK. We value the contribution of our employees and are proud to play a part in their career development; supporting them step-by-step throughout their professional growth whilst also offering them the opportunity to make a real difference.
The Bradford site is primarily involved in pharmaceutical, medical device and new chemical entity analysis, supporting both integrated drug discovery / pre-clinical drug development and Group analytical services offerings.
The Technical Leader – Pre-Formulation will lead drug development projects focussing on materials characterisation, solid form optimisation and early-stage formulation development. The role will involve experimental design and data interpretation from a diverse range of solid state and related techniques to optimise pre-formulation strategies – e.g. XRD, particle size, surface area / porosity, thermal, DVS, isothermal calorimetry, micronizing and milling techniques, freeze drying, spray drying, blending approaches hot stage and polarised light microscopy – in support of studies including but not limited to:
- API solid form optimisation
- Salt / polymorph / crystallisation / excipient compatibility screening
- Aqueous / solvent / biorelevant media solubility assessments
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in many or all of the above fields, plus experience of trouble shooting these techniques in a commercial setting. The Bradford site operates to current Good Manufacturing Practice and Good Laboratory Practice, therefore experience of working in a regulated environment would also be beneficial.
Main duties to:
- Revenue generating laboratory-based pre-formulation project work, applying diverse techniques to a wide range of sample types and technical challenges. May act as Lead Scientist or Project Manager, as required.
- Manage client programmes focussing on pre-formulation, formulation and materials characterisation.
- Liaising with colleagues e.g. operational teams to resource such programmes.
- Associated data interpretation and report writing; peer review of data / reports generated by colleagues.
- Providing technical guidance to colleagues at Bradford and more widely across the Group, in the pre-formulation field.
- Training and mentoring colleagues in own specialist techniques, processes, instruments, providing user support, method and instrument troubleshooting.
- Within specialist area, advising commercial colleagues on the most appropriate solution to customer problems, including solutions not currently offered by Concept Life Sciences Bradford (but may be offered within the Group or could be offered through capital expenditure). Will contribute to, and review, discipline-related quotes when required to do so.
- Within specialist area, liaising and consulting with appropriate colleagues within the Group to facilitate meeting a customer requirement or provide technical / instrumentation support and back up.
- Client liaison, inter-group liaison, internal projects and initiatives.
- Contributing to and adhering to company standard operating procedures.
- Typically, PhD in Pharmaceutics, Organic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Science or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Wide-ranging experience in the pharmaceutical industry in small molecule pre-formulation and drug development across a range of delivery routes (oral, parenteral, inhalation etc.) and therapeutic indications.
- Experienced in applying complex analytical instrumentation for physical-chemical characterisation of drug substances, excipients and formulations.
- Able to develop early formulation strategies for poorly soluble drugs to improve bioavailability.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety).
- Familiarity with the drug development regulatory pathway (e.g. IND, CMC requirements).
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
- Basic equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting skills.
- Proactive in your approach to your work.
- Strong written and oral communications skills; IT Literate.
- A full, clean UK driving license.
- Full Time – 37.5 per week with flexibility required to meet the needs of the business.
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Bupa Healthcare & Cigna Dental, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.