The Section Head manages a scientific function (materials characterisation) to ensure the delivery of operational targets, and has the credibility and scientific/technical skills appropriate to the function, to enable them to direct the work and ensure effective management of resources and time. Line manages Team Leaders and technical specialists within the function. Works with business development and senior management on the strategic development of the business.
Main Duties to:
- Working with Team Leaders to develop and sustainably grow diverse teams of complementary skills and competencies within their function, ensuring high levels of performance, development and motivation.
- Retention of key staff, and timely and suitable recruitment of replacement and/or additional staff.
- Providing commercial, technical and management guidance to Team Leaders and team members.
- Working with the Team Leaders to mentor and coach team members to deliver from a technical, quality and commercial standpoint.
- Ensuring the integrity of all data produced by their function.
- Resolving issues outside the control of the team.
- Managing their function to deliver quality analytical outputs in a timely fashion and within budget, whilst taking account of the customer needs and expectations.
- Liaising with customers on a strategic level; design of complex client programmes; contribution to quoting and business development as a technical expert.
- Overseeing analytical resourcing, management and utilisation to ensure timely delivery and testing profitability.
- Pro-actively identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, profitability, quality and efficient ways of working. Developing, maintaining and reporting on KPIs.
- Communicating effectively with colleagues throughout the business to share resources, technical knowledge and generally support all forms of business activity.
- Understanding of the function’s financial performance in line with Company requirements on an ongoing basis, including monthly, quarterly and annual outputs.
- Contribution to the budget process and business review / strategy.
- Reviewing risk and opportunity management and providing advice / mitigation where necessary.
- BSc or PhD in an analytical, chemical or related scientific field with extensive, demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Experience of GMP / GLP working environments.
- Robust project management capability.
- Knowledge of market conditions, opportunities and competition; sound understanding of customer base.
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills.
- Proven evidence of commercial and operational awareness.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Adept at coaching and mentoring team members and guiding career development.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety).
- Full time (37.5hrs per week).
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.