Our Analytical Development Services division is focused on delivering technical excellence, and an unrivalled customer journey, across a range of areas including life sciences, food & consumer services, industrial and environmental services.
With 700 members of staff, Concept Life Science’s employees are the foundation to our success. We have over 450 of our people engaged in delivering analytical services in laboratories throughout the UK. We value the contribution of our employees and are proud to play a part in their career development; supporting them step-by-step throughout their professional growth whilst also offering them the opportunity to make a real difference.
The role of Regional Director will work with senior leaders on the strategic development across the Southern region of the Analytical Development Services business. Responsible for a total combined revenue of over £7m across a number of scientific functions, ensuring the operational delivery of targets including Health & Safety, revenue streams, customer service and other KPI’s. With the ability to lead and influence innovation and change, the Regional Director will have the credibility and ability to direct work of the functions and ensure effective management of resources.
- Strategic development of the region, communicating and implementing the wider vision of the Group to meet local objectives.
- Lead and sustainably grow or develop teams across multiple scientific sites.
- Financial control of the region’s performance in line with company requirements on an ongoing basis including all monthly, quarterly and annual outputs.
- Operation in line with the Concept Life Sciences Protocols and Business Strategy.
- Contribution to the budget process and business review/strategy.
- Acting as an ambassador for the Group and in doing so proactively promoting the brand and values both internally and externally.
- Effectively leading local management to deliver quality outputs in a timely fashion and within budget whilst taking account of the client’s needs and expectations.
- Implementing the business strategy to maximise the extent and pace of regional site development.
- Manage time critical situations and projects taking into account different options, benefits, risks and solutions to make effective decisions.
- Providing inspirational leadership and direction to team members within the site and ensuring high levels of team performance, development and motivation.
- Overseeing analytical resourcing and management to ensure timely delivery and testing profitability.
- Pro-actively identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, profitability, quality and efficient ways of working.
- Communicating effectively with colleagues throughout the business to share resources, technical knowledge and generally support all forms of business activity.
- Generating a culture of collaboration and team work.
- Complying with Health and Safety requirements as stated within Concept Life Sciences policy, procedure and practice.
- Assisting with analysis planning and defining the scope of analysis.
- Reviewing resource planning and utilisation.
- Reviewing and setting the site budgets in accordance with Concept Life Sciences delegated authorities policy.
- Reviewing risk and opportunity management and providing advice where necessary.
- Working closely with Business Development to initiate, manage and control contracts and manage commercial issues.
- Providing commercial and technical advice and assistance to the team.
- Providing strategic input to key customer relationships.
- Reviewing and authorising internal and external testing arrangements.
- Resolving issues outside the control of the team.
Key Role KPIs
- Timely reporting of all KPI’s to local management teams.
- Achievement and/or exceedance of budget and related commercial targets (earnings, gross profit, EBITDA).
- Retention of key staff and timely and suitable recruitment of replacement and /or new staff.
- Builds diverse teams of complementary skills and competencies.
- Management of projects at all stages in line with the Quality system.
- Retention of clients as demonstrated through repeat business and through positive client feedback.
- A thorough understanding of quality assurance and quality control as applied in such laboratories, including the use of proficiency testing, control charts, reference materials, spikes, duplicates and blanks to ensure the quality of results and validate methods.
- Mentoring and coaching of the team to deliver technically, quality and commercially and in line with operational practices and policies.
- Significant experience in a senior leadership position.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of scientific disciplines.
- Familiarity of working within an ISO 17025 (UKAS) accredited function.
- Extensive knowledge of market conditions, opportunities and competition.
- Sound understanding of client base.
- Team Leadership.
- High Level influencing and negotiation skills.
- Proven commercial and operational awareness.
- High-level interpersonal skills.
- Robust project management capability.
- Adept at coaching and mentoring team members and guiding career development.
- Relevant degree or equivalent.
- Full time (37.5hrs per week).
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.