Do you want to join a highly-experienced team committed to providing unrivalled scientific analytical services for a diverse portfolio of clients?
Our Analytical Services division is focused on delivering technical excellence across a range of areas including life sciences, food & consumer services, industrial and environmental services.
With 700 members of staff, Concept Life Science’s employees are the foundation to our success. We have over 450 of our people engaged in delivering analytical services in laboratories throughout the UK. We value the contribution of our employees and are proud to play a part in their career development; supporting them step-by-step throughout their professional growth whilst also offering them the opportunity to make a real difference.
A full time permanent opportunity is available on the Dundee site. The Principal Scientist position is a pivotal role within the Integrated Discovery and Development Services (IDDS) division of Concept Life Sciences. It is envisaged that this role would lead and manage Biotransformation and structural elucidation (LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, HPLC and GC) studies across all IDDS sites that offer DMPK services. Reporting directly to, and working with the Group Head of Bioanalysis and DMPK, the successful incumbent would take responsible for establishing the IDDS strategy for development for all elements of Biotransformation (exploratory through to the definitive, regulatory in vivo studies) for integrated services as well as standalone services that support the client base. It is expected that this role would work very closely with Team Leader of Analytical Sciences (Dundee), the Head of ADME services (Alderley Park) and Quality Assurance to ensure that work is resourced and executed to the highest scientific and regulatory standards. The successful incumbent will also be expected to work with operational management, business development and senior management on the strategic development of the business.
The role can be based at either the Dundee site or Alderley Park, however travel between both sites is a core requirement of the role.
Main Duties to:
- In conjunction with Group Head of Bioanalysis and DMPK, lead and execute all Biotransformation and Structural Elucidation services.
- Act as Study Director, Principal Investigator or Analytical Phase Manager (where appropriate) for regulatory studies (Biotransformation and Structural Elucidation).
- Act as Laboratory Leader and train all other members of the Bioanalysis and DMPK group across all IDDS sites to be able to develop and validate chromatographic methods (LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, HPLC and GC) for support of biotransformation studies to current industry and regulatory (FDA/EMEA) standards.
- Provide structural elucidation expertise for all biotransformation studies across all IDDS sites.
- When required, assist in the Study analysis of all bioanalytical and DMPK studies (regulatory and non-regulatory).
- Lead and author scientific publications.
- Act as IDDS wide mentor to all members of the organisation.
- Operate in line with the company protocols and business strategy.
- Author and assist in the review of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other business process documents.
- Act as an ambassador for the business and in doing so proactively promoting the company brand and values both internally and externally.
- Pro-actively identify opportunities for continuous improvement, profitability, quality and efficient ways of working.
- Comply with health and safety requirements of the site as stated within company policy, procedure and practice.
- Communicating effectively with colleagues throughout the business to share resources, technical knowledge and generally support all forms of business activity.
- Generates a culture of collaboration and team work.
- Assist with analysis planning and defining the scope of analysis in relation to instruments available.
- Assist the Team Leader of Analytical Sciences (Dundee) and the Head of ADME services (Alderley Park) in reviewing instrument resource planning and utilisation in the labs.
- Assisting with initiating, managing and controlling contracts and managing commercial issues regarding laboratories and facility.
- Assist the Team Leader of Analytical Sciences (Dundee) and the Head of ADME services (Alderley Park) in organising all repairs, maintenance of laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry (or related discipline) essential.
- Higher degree (Master or Doctorate) in related discipline highly advantageous.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques in support of Biotransformation studies essential.
- Experience of acting as Study Director, Principal Investigator and/or Analytical Phase Manager essential.
- Experience with Sciex and Waters equipment highly advantageous.
- Experience of supporting biotransformation studies within regulatory framework essential.
- Knowledge of market conditions, opportunities and competition desirable.
- Understanding of customer base and commercial awareness also desirable.
- Influencing and negotiation skills.
- High-level interpersonal skills.
- Robust time management capability.
- Ability to travel between both Dundee and Alderley Park sites.
- 37.5 hours per week with flexibility required to meet the needs of the business.
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.