The role of Technical Support within the commercial team involves being primarily responsible for a particular technique / group of techniques. This includes oversight of all MS related projects, responsibility for quote and proposal writing and project design in collaboration with the commercial team. Develops and validates complex and simple methods. Guides and advises co-workers, troubleshoots instrument issues. Likely to carry out data checking in specialist area. Does not have direct reports but will be responsible for best practices in specialist area and training of co-workers including liaison with other Concept Life Science sites, with the aim of effectively meeting client requirements. The role requires detailed knowledge of the technique area, equipment, the theoretical operational background, and practical operating understanding issue.
As the development site for analytical techniques, it is important the candidate has experience of the important parameters needed for accurate and precise analysis as well as involvement in equipment installation and operation. This may include involvement in capital purchases and an understanding of the current market.
Method development and validation will involve analysis of a range of test samples (substances, compounds, formulations, investigational or commercial products, raw materials) submitted by clients from the Life Sciences and related industries for techniques including NMR, UHPLC / HPLC, GC, IC, GPC, MS and hyphenated MS techniques (GC-MS, LC-MS, MS-MS etc). The ideal candidate will have proven experience in some or all of the above fields, plus experience of trouble shooting these techniques in a commercial setting. The Bradford site operates to current Good Manufacturing Practice, therefore experience of working in a regulated environment would also be beneficial.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as you will be working directly with clients, liaising with them on technically challenging issues and offering analytical solutions for the way forward. In addition characteristics including organisation, self-motivated and responsibility for their own workload, working independently when required; with an aptitude to learn and develop in the role would also be desirable.
Main Duties to:
- Provide analytical support to junior staff members.
- Interpretation of data sets from a range of techniques including NMR, UHPLC / HPLC, GC, IC, GPC and MS.
- Where necessary revenue generating laboratory-based analytical project work, applying diverse analytical techniques to a wide range of sample types.
- Project design and quote writing
- Associated data processing and report writing; peer review of data / reports generated by colleagues.
- Method development and validation, including drafting of related documents (methods, protocols, reports).
- Principle techniques dependent on experience and training.
- Client liaison, inter-group liaison, internal projects and initiatives.
- Contributing to and adhering to company standard operating procedures.
- Training of co-workers in own specialist techniques.
- At least MSc but preferably PhD in an analytical chemistry or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Broad practical experience in developing and validating analytical methods; method development research skills.
- Experienced in the use and troubleshooting of complex analytical instrumentation.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety, cGMP).
- Familiarity with good scientific practice.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
- Basic equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting skills.
- Strong written and oral communications skills; IT Literate.
- A full, clean UK driving license.
- Proactive in your approach to your work.
- Role is subject to probation and training on internal processes.
- Full time (37.5hrs per week)
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.